In my teeny tiny apartment I have had to get creative with how I store things. I do not have the luxury of being able to leave things out for a few days (not that I am neat, I am a naturally messy person and so this has been a challenge for me). This means when I get out everything I need to decorate cookies I want to make the most of it for a day or two and then put it all away.So when I was asked to make cookies for a baby shower, I made a few extra for a birthday party!
I also just used the left over baby shower colors for the birthday cookies and I think it worked fine. I started out having trouble with my pink. I couldn’t seem to get the color right. Once I added two drops of fuchsia, the color deepened and I was happier with it.
You can still see a little bit of the yellow icing left on the bowl from where I had just mixed it. That is because I deliberately mix lighter colors first so that I can use the same bowl for multiple colors. I learned the trick from Karen’s Cookies. She has fabulous tutorials, plus she sells some of the hard to find decorating supplies. I have bought many things there and have always been impressed by the items and service. This is not a paid advertisement, just letting you know what I think.
If any of you decorate cookies or read cookie blogs you have probably heard about the spray bottle technique for thinning royal icing. The tip came from One Tough Cookie and is a great idea. I have just never gotten around to buying a spray bottle. This was what I came up with this time and it worked pretty well, I will probably try it a few more times before I give it my final verdict. I filled the cup with water and used the spoon to add water a little at a time to each batch of icing. I did notice as I went that I had figured out how many spoonfuls I would need to achieve certain results. I could see where this could be useful in the future so I wouldn’t have to do so much guessing to get the icing to the consistency I am looking for.
No pictures of the work in progress, just some final results. I had been asked to do pink and green, but I added the blue for a little interest. The shower was for a baby girl, but I heard the mom was using blue in the nursery.
And then there are the birthday cookies!
I used a bunch of different techniques on these. Quite a few bloggers have been talking about brush embroidery recently. I had used it on some of my Christmas trees this past year and I thought I would play with some flowers this time. I was terribly impatient and did not let the bottom layer of icing dry completely which meant I had to be very gentle with the brush. Do not be like me, let the bottom layer dry. (if you want more info on brush embroidery Ali Bee has a great tutorial)
(and Happy Birthday A-dub)